Battle weary and exhausted, this old monarch is fatigued yet whole. There are harsh winter days ahead, but he seems well enough. He broke the G-2 on his left beam, but that's the only damage I can see. If another buck gored him in one of the violent battles of the late rut, he might die; but I can't see any evidence of that. He looks like he'll make it another year.
Did he let me get this close because he's just tired of running? Could be, but if he's going to keep living he'll eventually need to get moving.
That's for sure.
There's something about "what's ahead" that's predicated on "what's behind," as if past behaviors predict future performance. (It's certainly not a one-to-one correlation, nor is it a perfect science, but it is a fairly reliable indicator.) So unless something unanticipated happens, this ol' buck will probably spend the rest of his days as he spent his last ones; and that's fine with me.
How are you these days?
- Fatigued but well-enough?
- Content to stay next year on the same path you walked last year?
- Ready for some changes?
If you're like me, you're glad to have New Year's Day "off," but you want to finish 2011 well so there are still a few things you'd like to do before the year ends.
We have things to accomplish on the last day of the year. Here's my partial list. What's yours?
- Post this blog.
- Worship God with our church family at GCC tonight at 5:00 PM.
- Receive Holy Communion with true gratitude and humility.
- Offer my final 2011 financial contribution to GCC. Finish my tithe in full. Fulfill my "New Normal" pledge.
- Write a few "Thank You" letters.
- Walk in the woods with my son.
- Pray for understanding.
Proverbs 4:7 - Above all and before all, do this: Get Wisdom! Write this at the top of your list: Get Understanding!