This is my nephew Isaac. He is the founding pastor of Summit Church in Orlando - a multi-site church family leveraging the love of Jesus against the brokenness in their community.
Isaac was preaching Sunday and that's when I snapped this picture. I prayed for him during the service. I have great hope for Isaac. He's like so many men - challenged on every side by sin's stranglehold on people dwelling in every nook and cranny of our desperately broken world. I'm not deluded; my nephew is just a man, but he's a man I admire.
Today I got up thinking about Isaac. Then I thought about his brothers and how I admire them too. So I banged out a short list of characteristics I admire in a man. It's incomplete and inadequate, but it's what popped into my head this morning.
Characteristics I Admire in a Man
- He doesn't take the easy path; he chooses the right path.
- He volunteers. That means he sometimes gives without getting anything more than a "Thank You." Sometimes he gives without getting that.
- He protects those weaker than himself.
- He is honest. If he says it, you can count on it.
- He doesn't quit when the wicked and spiteful wound him.
- He has a friend or two.
- He is patient, but not infinitely so.
- He laughs.
- He shows restraint, seasoning his response to the idiotic with compassion.
- He does not suffer fools.
- He knows God and serves HIM.
- He honors his mother and father.
- He honors his people, tribe and country.
- He is patient, but not with liars, cheats and cowards.
- His family has good reason to trust him.
- He does his best in what matters most.
- He listens to wise counsel.
- His great enemy fears him.
1 Peter 5:8-9a - Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith.