When Sheila and I were on Sabbatical a few years ago, we went to the Coliseum in Rome. My brother and sister (accompanied by their wonderful spouses) were standing in line with us, along with about a zillion tourists, when the lady leading our group handed Sheila her flag and told everyone to "Stay with the flag and follow her!"
Sheila suddenly went from hanging around with us to having responsibility for us.
That can happen to anyone. It can happen at any time.
Look through the Bible and make note of the times God entrusted someone with huge responsibility when they least expected it.
- David was tending his father's flocks when he was tapped as Israel's future king.
- Mary was planning a wedding when she was told she'd birth Messiah.
- Samuel was sound asleep when God called him.
- Gideon was hiding from his enemies when he was charged with responsiblity to defeat them.
- Matthew was busy doing his job when Jesus called him.
- A number of Jesus' early disciples were catching fish when Jesus charged them with a new mission: "Follow Me and you'll be catching men."
Check the Bible. God calls when we're ready, whether we know it or not.
Be willing to take your next step and God will lead you forward, not by your own power, but through Christ - who strengthens you.
If we'll always be willing, get ourselves ready and expect God's direction, we'll change the world.
Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.